It’s not even normal how good this apple sauce tastes! Especially considering how healthy it is. The ingredients are simply apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, water and lemon yet it tastes as divine as the filling of an apple pie!
8 medium sized gala apples, peeled and cut into quarters
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup water
1. Peel apples and cut into quarters, removing the core.
2. Then cut each quarter in half into smaller chunks.
3. Place apple chunks into a large pot with the water, cover and bring to a boil.
4. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and the zest of 1 lemon.
5. Reduce heat and cook for 20-30 minutes or until apple chunks have softened.
6. Squeeze over the apples the juice of half of the lemon.
7. Remove apples from heat and mash gently with a masher or fork (alternatively the apple sauce can be cooled and pureed in a blender or food processor but we prefer chunky)!
8. Enjoy warm or cold!