2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
red curry paste
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cups cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add red curry paste, ginger, carrot, celery and onion. Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in a traditional blender or food processor.
- Garnish each serving with toasted coconut flakes and chopped fresh cilantro.