Ingredients for Bread
5 oz butter, unsalted
1/4 cup yogurt
1 cup ripe plantain (about 1 each), peeled
3 each candied Clementines from Spain, chopped (see below)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, crushed
Ingredients for Candied Clementines from Spain
1 cup sugar
3 cup water
1/2 cup Clementines from Spain juice (about 3 Clementines from Spain)
3 Clementines from Spain
Ingredients for Pumpkin Seed Butter
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1 Tbs pumpkin seed oil
Method for Bread
- Beat butter and Clementines from Spain syrup (from candied Clementines from Spain recipe below) well until fluffy.
- Blend together the ripe plantain (can be substituted for 2 bananas), eggs and yogurt. Add the chopped candied Clementines from Spain and blend slightly leaving some of the Clementines from Spain rind chunky.
- Sift dry ingredients together, and then slowly add to the mixture, beat for a minute to add body to the bread. Fold in the crushed toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Bake in a loaf pan that has been buttered and floured, or lined with parchment paper, at 350˚ for 45-50 minutes, until center is dry when checked with a toothpick and cool.
Method for Candied Clementines from Spain
- Cut 3 Clementines from Spain in quarters; de-seed if needed
- Blanch in hot water for 5 minutes
- Cook slowly in water, sugar and their juice, simmer until Clementines from Spain are soft and the liquid syrupy (about 45 minutes). Strain syrup and save for the bread. Cool to room temperature.
Method for Pumpkin Seed Butter
- Puree in a blender at low speed until very smooth, about 5-10 minutes.
Other Serving Suggestions
- Serve toasted slices of Clementines from Spain Pumpkin Seed Bread with Pumpkin Seed Butter
- Use a muffin mold for individual portions
- Serve it with a good chicken liver pate or foie grass…pura vida!
Yield = 2 cakes in 8×4 loaf pans
Preparation Time: The cakes will take about one hour to complete though the Clementines from Spain portion can be done in advance and save 40 minutes in preparation time.
Cook Time= 45-50 minutes
Image and Recipe Credit: Chef Hector Santiago