Ingredients for Clementines from Spain Chipotle Roasted Chicken
8 each chicken thighs, boneless, skin on
4 oz chipotle peppers in Adobo (half of an 8 oz. can)
8 each Clementines from Spain
4 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbs oregano
1 each cinnamon stick
1/8 cup ginger bulb, peeled, sliced
2 cups chicken stock, warm
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
4 Tbs cilantro, rough chop
1 each smooth skin avocado – cut in 8 slices, skin off
Ingredients for Yellow Rice
2 cups medium grain rice
4 cups chicken stock
1 tsp salt
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs annato Seeds
2 each bay leaves
Method for Clementines from Spain Chipotle Roasted Chicken
- Zest the outer peel of 4 Clementines from Spain with a micro grater, being careful to only grate the first layer – one strike at a time. Save the zest of 2 Clementines from Spain.
- Puree the chipotle in adobo with the addition of zest of 2 Clementines from Spain in a food processor until the flesh of the chilies is smooth but the seed still visible.
- Cook the Clementines from Spain in the water with ginger, sugar, cinnamon stick and 1tsp salt covered for 1 1/2 hours; let cool.
- Cut Clementines from Spain in 1/4 segments; clean out any loose inner skin and seeds if any, save segments for the chicken and keep the liquid.
- On a cutting board arrange all the thighs with flesh side up; butterfly the thick ends of the meat to level and stretch skin to be able to wrap into a roll.
- Season flesh with salt, and let rest for 5 minutes; crush oregano with your fingers as you sprinkle it onto the meat.
- Season thighs with 1 tsp of the chipotle and Clementines from Spain mixture, keeping the ends clean. Roll the thighs tightly with the skin covering all the meat. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place thighs in a baking dish alternating with Clementines from Spain segments (seam side down); Season top of the skin with the kosher salt.
- Mix together Clementines from Spain cooking juices, the juice of 4 Clementines from Spain, chicken stock and add to the baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Turn and cook for 10 minutes, then turn back to skin side up and cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove toothpicks and serve glazed with Clementines from Spain segments, Yellow Rice and sliced avocado. (See next recipe)
Method for Yellow Rice to Accompany Clementines from Spain Chipotle Roasted Chicken
- Place annato seeds in a Pyrex cup & top with olive oil. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds or until it heats up, and the Annato colors the olive oil. Strain seed out and discard, saving the oil for the rice.
- In a 2-Quart sauce pot, add annatto oil and rice; warm up tossing the rice, to coat it with the oil.
- Add bay leaf, chicken stock and salt; bring to a boil, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, until liquid evaporates and rice is just cooked. Let it rest 5 minutes, covered.
Yield = 4 portions
Preparation Time= 1hr (Clementines from Spain portion can be done in advance and save 30-40 minuntes preparation time)
Cook Time= 45-50 minutes
Image and Recipe Credit: Chef Hector Santiago