1 cup brown or green lentils, washed
4 cups + 1 TBS vegetable broth
1 medium onion chopped
3 medium garlic cloves chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 medium celery stalks, diced
2 cups finely chopped kale
2 tsp curry powder
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
Salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper to taste
Urban Clinic recommended additions:
Potato (1 large baking potato cut in small squares)
1. Rinse lentils in strainer and sort through, removing debris.
2. Chop onions and garlic and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Heat 1 TBS broth in medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently, until translucent.
4. Add garlic, carrots, and celery. Continue to sauté for another couple of minutes. Add curry powder and mix to bring out its flavor.
5. Add rinsed and drained lentils, 4 cups broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer uncovered until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add kale and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is perfect for a slow cooker. Try our additions and serve over brown rice and/or Roasted Curried Cauliflower.
Recipe Credit: The World’s Healthiest Foods