1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (diced)
1 carrot (diced)
2 stalks celery (diced)
3 cloves garlic (chopped)
chili pepper flakes to taste
1 cup red wine
1 cup red lentils
2 cups chicken stock
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 roasted red peppers (sliced into bite sized pieces)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 parmigiano reggiano rind (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
Feta cheese for garnish
Urban Clinic Recommended Additions: 1/2 bunch chopped Kale, Spinach and/or Swiss Chard
1. Cook the sausage in a large pot and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in the same pot.
3. All the onions, carrot and celery and and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the red wine and deglaze the pan.
6. Add the sausage, lentils, chicken stock, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, bay leaf, oregano, balsamic vinegar and parmigiano reggiano rind and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are cooked al dente, about 20-30 minutes.
8. Add the desired greens about 5 minutes before serving
9. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and mix in the parsley, top with feta and serve.
Recipe Credit: Closet Cooking