Massaman curry is a Southern Thai dish that can be made with beef, chicken, pork or lamb. During a recent trip to Thailand we had the extreme pleasure of having this particular Massaman curry made for us by a local chef known to us as “Bang”. It was the best curry dish we have ever tried so we couldn’t resist sharing it!
1/2 tablespoon of oil
1 heaping tablespoon Massaman Curry Paste
1/2 liter coconut milk
2 10 cm cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons crushed almonds, almost to a powder consistency
Cut pieces of either chicken, beef, lamb or pork (quantity for 4 people)
Chopped onion and carrots (quantity for 4 people)
Cubed potato and sweet potato (quantity for 4 people)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add Massaman curry paste to the pan and when it gets fragrant add the coconut milk, stir and heat until mixture starts bubbling.
- Add the 2 cinnamon sticks and the crushed almonds and mix thoroughly.
- Add the desired quantity of meat, vegetables and cashew nuts.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until meat is cooked and potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Serve over jasmine rice and enjoy!